The Man behind
Evagoras K. Lanitis was born in Lemesos on October 10th, 1921.
He passed away on November 7th, 1992.
He graduated from the Lemesos Gymnasium in 1939. From 1945 till 1948, he studied at the Cambridge University, from where he received his Β.Α Honours Degree in Law. In 1951, he received from the same university his Μ.Α. (Honours) in Law.
Evagoras Lanitis was the President of the Lanitis Group, founded in 1898 under the initiative of the founders of the Lemesos Popular Savings Bank – which is today the Cyprus Laiki Bank – and of KEO Ltd.
After his graduation from the University of Cambridge, Evagoras Lanitis undertook the position of managing director in the Lanitis Group and became some years later its President.
In 1952 he was appointed consul in Holland and ended his service in 1991 as consul general of the same country.
Evagoras Lanitis had rich experience in all fields of the economic and professional life both in Cyprus and abroad and in European issues in particular.
From the 8th of August 1974 till the 20th of January 1975 and under the extremely difficult circumstances due to the Turkish invasion, he was asked by Glafkos Klerides, the former President of Cyprus, to undertake the Ministries of Agriculture and Commerce. He did hold those offices until the Archbishop Makarios III returned to Cyprus.
For his marvellous work, he was conferred an honour twice by the Queen of Holland, as well as by the President of France in 1985, at that time Mr Jacque Chirac, and by the former President of France, François Miteran. He was also conferred honour by the Rotary International, by the Friends of the Cyprus Museum Association, by Nemessos and other institutions.
Evagoras Lanitis was widely known not only for his very successful business activities but also for his contribution to society. He undertook social and humanitarian activities by donating money in the area of sports, archaeology (archaeological excavations), medicine and education. He also donated money to the Church.